It is similar to installing Ubuntu 10.4. It seems that, there is always something to manually configure after each update.
- Backup all documents, those are ~/Documents; ~/.emacs.d; ~/.emacs.el; ~/.bashrc.
- Download and make a CD for installation. Insert CD, run trial version before installation. This makes sure Internet is accessible during installation.
- Disk partition: After insert CD, the first major step is partition. My choice is: sda1(ntfs) 1.3G; sda2(ntfs) 83G; sda5(ext4) 55G for root; sda6 (Linux swap) 10G; sda4(ntfs) 10G.
- After complete installation, I use Ubuntu Software Center to install some softwares: Emacs, Konsole, Xournal, Octave, Tex live (full version) with add ons (gs, gv, xpdf); Auctex, xpdf, gimp, acroread with additional add-ons.
- Copy back ~/Document, ~/.emacs.el, ~/.emacs.d/my-abb.el
- Install cell writer and Magick-rotation, but does not work.
- I also installed: skype, Chromium
After all above, I tried Emacs with latex. Forward/Inverse search does not work automatically. To invoke this function,
- Turn on Tex-mode in Emacs
- Find menu, latex->customize Auctex->Browse options->Tex command->Tex view group->Tex source correlated method, then change “value menu” to “source-special”.
Also find xpdf does not work in this version.